Career decisions are one of the major decisions which one has to take in life. For pursuing any profession one has to know everything about it so that performance and result can be fruitful. The career decisions are almost taken after 12th when both parents and students are stressed out to make the right choice. With so many career options after 12th, some children make choice of bachelor of dental surgery which in itself is one of the most difficult and established careers. However, to ensure that every step in the career is taken appropriately it is good to take the assistance of career guide.
Career in Dentistry
The choice of dentistry brings in many rewards and challenges in the way. It gives an individual the opportunity to grasp more skills and make the world a healthier place. Once an individual has completed the dental course, they can easily start a dental clinic and design an independent career. For individuals, who are just wondering on how to become a dentist then below mentioned details might be of much help to them to step ahead in their career.
There are certain requirements to become a dentist and the basic eligibility criteria for a student are he/she should complete higher secondary examination which is 10+2. The last 2 years must comprise of Chemistry, Physics, and Biology. Along with it, it is also essential for the student to pass 12th with at least 50% marks. Such factors contribute to the eligibility and enable the student to join a Bachelor of Dental Surgery program.
Once criteria have been met, students can join colleges or universities based on nationwide competitive examination or through state level examinations. All India Pre-Medical/Pre-Dental Entrance Exams which are conducted by CBSE are common for people who want to pursue MBBS or BDS. The seat allocation is majorly based on merit. However, there are medical colleges where students can join through management quota as well.
Courses to Study
The students attending schooling for dentist must check if colleges have been approved by the Dental Council of India. Once the choice of college is made, the next choice to make is the course. There are 3 different courses for dentist and it is essential for the student to complete any of these courses to become a dentist.
- BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery): This is generally a 4.5-years undergraduate course which can be taken up after 12th if biology is the elective subject. The student who completes this course can work as a dentist.
- MDS (Master of Dental Surgery): Amongst different courses for dentist, this is a post-graduation course which can be taken up by the student after completing BDS.
- DDS (Doctor of Dental Surgery): Students who complete this course will be awarded a doctorate degree in dental surgery. This degree is considered equivalent to Ph.D. degree.
Best Dentistry Colleges in India
To be a part of the best dental colleges in India, it is essential for students to mandatorily meet the requirements to become a dentist. There are various medical colleges across the nation, with at least one dental college located in every state. To help students make the right choice we have brought forth some of the best dental colleges in India below;
- Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Science, Delhi
- Manipal College of Dental Science, Manipal
- Government Dental College, Mumbai
- Faculty of Dental Sciences, King George’s, Lucknow
- SRM Dental College, Chennai
- Faculty of Dental Science, BHU, Varanasi
- Government Dental College, Nagpur
- Government Dental College, Ahmedabad
The fee structure varies from one college to another. However, the general fee structure lies as follows:
- BDS: Rs 4,15,000 (Average fees for a taken by private institution)
- MDS: Rs 8, 00,000 (Average fees for a taken by private institution)
In comparison to government colleges, the fee structure for private colleges is on the higher side. Hence, it is essential for students to keep in mind this fact and then make a wise choice.
Job Opportunities and Scope
Dentistry careers are not at all an easy choice to make, however, once you have put in efforts good future and wealth shall welcome you. There are plenty of job opportunities available after completion of dentistry course which can be chosen to earn handsome amount of money and live a good living.
- One can choose to become general dentist where one has to work under an experienced dental surgeon for 6-7months. After gaining quality knowledge and experience one can start up their own dental clinic.
- The option of Dental Specialist can be chosen by people who are willing to do specialization after BDS.
- Teaching profession is another suitable profession, which can be chosen by individuals after completing BDS. For people who are willing to be a senior lecturer then he/she has to be a MDS graduate.
After completion of dentistry course, dentist salary usually ranges from 30,000 to 3,00,000 INR per month based on the sector he/she is working. If one opens a private clinic then they can earn depending on their experience and clientele. The starting salary of dentist working in private or government sector ranges from Rs. 25,000- 45,000. However, one can earn more salary after his dentistry career based on his seniority and place of practice.