How to Crack IELTS Exam: Top 7 Tips
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is designed in order to assess the linguistic ability of candidates who wish to work/study in countries where English language is the mode of communication. IELTS is managed by University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations, British Council and IDP: IELTS Australia. IELTS is an online exam which conforms to the top most international standard in English Language assessment. More than one hundred countries’ universities, which include USA, UK, Australia, Canada, and New Zealand etc. recognize and accept the IELTS score.
Types of IELTS Exams
There are two types of the IELTS test – IELTS Academic and IELTS General Training. The Academic Test is for the ones who are applying for professional registration in an English speaking country and General training is for the ones who are going for work experience, training programs, or secondary education. Let us discuss some ways to crack IELTS exam.
Tips to Prepare for IELTS Exam
Below are 7 IELTS exam preparation tips which will boost your confidence and help you crack IELTS exam in first attempt. You should follow these strategies to your best and boost your skills while preparing for the IELTS exam.
Accept your Weakness
The first and foremost step to begin with is to realize where you stand and where you wish to see yourself in the due course of the time. For the same, one must accept his/her weaknesses and pull up his/her socks to achieve a better score. A person must take at least one test and get it evaluated in order to achieve the above. A thorough analysis of the test is must which should be followed by identification of weak and strong areas.
This exam involves all the basic facets of any language. They are Speaking, Reading, Writing, and Listening. Listening is one section which requires special concentration. For that, one must get habitual to the British accent as most of the listening modules are created by British speakers. In order to get a higher bandwidth score, a candidate must focus on all the 4 sections equally.
This tip is for the candidates who think they do not possess the accent required to crack this exam. This is just a myth. It is not much of a problem as most of the people applying for the exam are not native speakers. The key to success with the accent is to keep it natural. It is better if you keep it real rather than try to imitate an accent which isn’t yours.
Practice, Practice and more Practice will help you make it big in your exam. IELTS preparation for beginners should mandatorily begin with the scheduled practice sessions. Gear up and put on your best efforts to crack this examination. Remember, the IELTS exam is time bound in nature so practice is the key to ace the exam.
The Right Set of Resources
There is no dearth of books to prepare IELTS exam. But a few must reads are mentioned below:
- The Official Cambridge Guide: Good book for candidates who wish to familiarize themselves with the test format and already have an average level of English communication.
- Cambridge Examination Papers: It is a must read for all the IELTs Candidates. The test papers are a good sneak peek to help you understand the format better.
- Cambridge Vocabulary for IELTS Advanced: This book is meant for those who are looking for a finishing touch to their preparations. A good level of vocabulary is definitely an advantage.
Efficient time management is a must for any IELTS aspirant. All the sections are time bound. Writing (60 minutes), Reading (60 minutes), Speaking (15 minutes), and Listening (40 minutes). Most of the students are unable to adhere to the timings which sabotage their chances of achieving a higher band.
For the students who adhere to the ‘Do-It-Yourself’ strategy, IELTS home study tips and skills will help them get the steady throughout the preparation process.
- Persistence: It is the key to demolish any examination in the world.
- Pin-Point Focus and Patience: One cannot expect to see the results anytime soon in the early preparation phase. It takes time.
- Speed Management: It gets difficult for the candidates who prepare at home to judge their speeds. It is better they take some mock exams to effectively manage speeds.
- Balance between Speed and Quality: It is necessary for one to maintain a balance between speed and quality of attempts.